Evogene Discloses Positive Results in Yield Improvement Collaboration with Monsanto Utilizing Novel 'Trait-First' Methodology23/02/2016
Results, obtained for a set of Evogene discovered genes, in testing by its key collaborator, Monsanto, demonstrate potential to achieve yield enhancement in corn and soybean.
Rehovot, Israel – February 23rd, 2016 - Evogene Ltd. (NYSE, TASE: EVGN), a leading company for the improvement of crop productivity and economics for the food, feed and biofuel industries announced today positive results from the testing of a set of the Company's discovered genes in corn and soybeans conducted this past season by its key collaborator, Monsanto. These are the first results for genes discovered and tested pursuant to a 'Trait-First' methodology implemented in the frame of the parties' on-going, multi-year collaboration which focuses on yield enhancement and abiotic stress resistance.
The new methodology, which leverages and utilizes knowledge unlocked through the collaboration, has enabled the two companies to identify and prioritize a series of key enabling traits that are expected to improve plants’ overall performance leading to yield improvement, as well as the trait attributes required for achieving these key traits. The methodology implementation incorporates the synergistic application of Evogene’s 'big data' integration, analysis and prediction capabilities, including gene identification and optimization for specific trait attributes and gene stacking for achieving the key enabling traits, together with Monsanto’s industry leading development, validation and field trial network for testing both trait attributes and the key traits.
The positive results reported today represent a key step towards achieving the targeted plant traits for yield improvement, and confirm Evogene's computational predictions for this set of novel genes with respect to the underlying trait attributes. Further testing of these genes will now be undertaken while the parties evaluate additional previously discovered genes from the collaboration as well as new ones.
Tom Adams, VP Global Biotechnology at Monsanto stated: "Farmers throughout the world are increasingly focused on delivering better harvests to meet the demands of our planet. The ability to identify novel traits that can improve on-farm yields means that farmers can produce more on their existing farmland thus taking steps to preserve our natural habitats. Monsanto is pleased to collaborate with Evogene to continue our research to discover the specific plant improvements that can help drive on-farm yield".
Ofer Haviv, Evogene’s President and CEO added: “These recent results for Evogene discovered genes from Monsanto’s corn and soybean programs support Evogene's unique prediction capabilities in discovering genes that influence plant trait attributes. We look forward to our continuing joint efforts with Monsanto as we leverage both parties’ assets, capabilities and expertise in further promoting positive genes in the development processes and evaluating additional genes. We expect that the collaboration will lead to breakthrough yield-enhancing products for farmers world-wide.”
About Evogene Ltd.:
Evogene (NYSE, TASE: EVGN) is a leading company for the improvement of crop productivity and economics for the food, feed and biofuel industries. The Company has strategic collaborations with world-leading agricultural companies to develop improved seed traits in relation to yield and a-biotic stress (such as tolerance to drought), and biotic stress (such as resistance to disease and nematodes), in key crops as corn, soybean, wheat and rice, and is also focused on the research and development of new products for crop protection (such as weed control). In addition, the Company has a wholly-owned subsidiary, Evofuel, developing seeds for second generation feedstock for biodiesel. For more information, please visit www.evogene.com.
This press release contains "forward-looking statements" relating to future events. These statements may be identified by words such as "may", “expects”, "intends", “anticipates”, “plans”, “believes”, “scheduled”, “estimates” or words of similar meaning. Such statements are based on current expectations, estimates, projections and assumptions, describe opinions about future events, involve certain risks and uncertainties which are difficult to predict and are not guarantees of future performance. Therefore, actual future results, performance or achievements of Evogene may differ materially from what is expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements due to a variety of factors, many of which beyond Evogene's control, including, without limitation, those risk factors contained in Evogene’s reports filed with the appropriate securities authority. Evogene disclaims any obligation or commitment to update these forward-looking statements to reflect future events or developments or changes in expectations, estimates, projections and assumptions.
Press releases for 2016
- Marrone Bio Innovations and Evogene Advance Novel Bacteria and Related Proteins Beyond Discovery into Insecticidal Product Development Phase
- Evogene to Present Innovative Approach for Improving Cannabis for Medical Needs at CannaTech Summit
- Evogene Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Financial Results
- Evogene and ICL Innovation Sign Collaboration for Development of Crop Enhancers
- Evogene Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Earnings Announcement Schedule
- Evogene to Transfer Stock Exchange Listing to Nasdaq
- Evogene Reports Third Quarter 2016 Financial Results
- Evogene Announces Positive Field Trial Results in Ag-biologicals Program
- Evogene Third Quarter 2016 Earnings Announcement Schedule
- Evogene and IMAmt Sign Collaboration for Genomic Promoter Discovery and Validation in Cotton
- Evogene Announces Joint Microbial Diversity Activity with University of Missouri
- Evogene Announces Participation at the 18th Annual Rodman & Renshaw Global Investment Conference in New York City September 11-13th, 2016
- Evogene Appoints a New Member to Board of Directors and a New Chief Operating Officer
- Evogene Reports Second Quarter 2016 Financial Results
- Evogene to Participate at Piper Jaffray Global Agriculture Symposium
- Evogene Second Quarter 2016 Earnings Announcement Schedule
- Evogene to Present at Crops and Chemicals 2016 Conference
- Evogene Reports Financial Results for the First Quarter of 2016
- Evogene and Marrone Bio Innovations Disclose Positive Results in Insect Control Collaboration
- Evogene to Present the Potential of Integrating Novel Genome Editing Technology with its Core Capabilities for Improved Seed Traits at Plant Genomics Congress
- Evogene’s First Quarter 2016 Earnings Announcement Schedule
- Evogene Files Annual Report for the Year Ended December 31, 2015
- Evogene Selected for Photosynthesis Research Consortium within European Horizon 2020 Program
- Evogene Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2015 Financial Results
- Evogene Discloses Positive Results in Yield Improvement Collaboration with Monsanto Utilizing Novel 'Trait-First' Methodology
- Evogenes Fourth Quarter with Full Year 2015 Earnings Announcement Schedule